Joesph Campbell and No place to rest

I recently watched this documentary, "Finding Joe." It was sooo good.  I love this Joe Campell guy. 

His books helped so much when I discovered my love of writing.  Only recently I'm getting it that, if I don't write even a little bit every day, there is a symptom to it.  It's similar to not eating and getting crabby and impatient.  Wow, writing for me is a basic form of my own self care.  I thought I was doing it, but I get it, that I haven't been taking this self care concept very seriously.  I'm grateful for a lot of the new concepts coming in, I hope to explore them later.

Joesph Campbell studied the heck out of all the religions, myths, and legends of the world.  He boiled all if it down to the Hero's Journey formula, a circle.  A never ending circle, so in a way, even though the hero stories seem to have an ending, they all point to beginnings within. 

It's not typical for me to quote the bible, but this circle made me think of the verse about how the son of man has no place to lay his head.  A quick web search said it's Matt 8:20 and three versions hit me.  Here's one:

Good News Translation:
Jesus answered him, "Foxes have holes, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lie down and rest."

Others said, "doesn't have a place to call his own." and, "has no place to lay His head."

I've been experiencing this in my own life.  There's this cumulative idea that things will slow down and time will just appear.  I've seen I'm not the only one who does this.  It's in the phrases I've used: 'let me get to it later,' 'when the kids get older,'  'when I feel better,' 'when I get "whatever" under control,'  'maybe when I retire'...ugh.  I see now that kids are actually getting older the bull in all of it.

Here's the quote that resonated from this cool Joe character.  I've come across some version of these words a lot in my life, Now I hear it.

"Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls." ~ Joesph Campbell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Labor Day

So much to talk about, nothing to talk about

Savoring the lessons